Like a little sweetness in your life? Yes, we all do. If you are like my hubby you have a super sweet tooth. If you are more like me, then not so much. You can imagine when some who has lived a Holistic Life Style for over half their life meets a sugar addict, I had quite a bit to say. It went a lot like this ‘You have to Reduce Your Sugar Intake, or else…’
Simply, too much sugar puts a huge stress on our bodies. Sugar contains no essential nutrients and is bad for your teeth. Too much high fructose sugar (the stuff they put into processed foods) puts a huge amount of stress on your liver. Your liver has over 600 known functions that keep you happy and healthy. So, you don’t really want to mess it up. If you don’t reduce sugar intake you could end up with Type 2 Diabetes. Too much sugar ups your chance of getting cancer. And sugar turns to fat, messes up our hormones and effects our brains. Who wants any of that?
Now, a little sugar isn’t going to do all that. I’m all about balance. Moderation, my dear, moderation.
What we really want is a nice constant level of energy all day and sugar messes with that. By avoiding sugar and caffeine we can get that constant level of energy. And ultimately, feel fabulous.
Real food is ingested slowly and gives us fuel. But often we rely on packaged or ready prepared foods. These contain chemicals that give them a shelf life. And also very often have high levels of sugar and salt to give them taste. Think about it: a fresh peach off the tree tastes very different to one in a can. Old food loses flavor, so sugar is added to give it taste.
(And btw, did you know that when fat is removed to make low or fat free products, sugar and salt are added to put back taste?)
What can we do? How can we reduce sugar intake?
Drinking Made Easy
- Forget fizzy, sugary sodas and pops. Instead when you are thirsty, have a nice glass of water.
- Jazz up your water. Hubby doesn’t like number 1, as he doesn’t like water much. So I add taste with fruit. If I make a pitcher of fruit flavored water and pop it in the fridge, he’ll drink it all. Faves:
- lemon and lime
- lime and vanilla
- lemon and mint
- berries (any berries)
- cucumber, apple and mint (not just for your Pimm’s Cocktail!)
- feeling fancy, use fizzy water and fruit
- Don’t keep sugary drinks in the house. Hah! That way hubby can’t get into them. And then when we go out and he orders a sweet iced tea, he really enjoys it. (My American boy!)
- Like fruit juice? Use a small glass, like we used to. I’m astounded when I go out now and am given a pint of juice with breakfast. No thanks. I order a kid size juice. And more often than not, I just order fruit as a side. That way, I get all the fiber too!
Start by doing some of these tips some of the time. You’ll start to feel better. Then do them more and you’ll soon be Feeling Absolutely Fabulous!
Pop a comment below and let me know how you reduce sugar intake.